2006-12-13

Question: The difference between Disassociation and Discrimination

Question from Anonymous:
Would you elaborate further on the key: "14-DSC: The right to Discriminate", and the differences between that and "12-DIS: The right to Disassociate".Can you particularly outline how government, company and individual rights/responsibilities differ in regard to 14-DSC (if at all), considering the differing degrees of power/authority that each is able to exercise over individuals (both within and without the organization) and thus over society as a whole.

Answer from Stewart:
Hi Anonymous - thanks for the question.

Discrimination is a sub-category
In the introduction of 20 Keys I mentioned that there were 2 pairs of sub-principles. Just as the rottweiller and chihuahua are sub-breeds of what we call a dog, so the right to discriminate (12-DIS) and boycott (13-BOY) fall under larger umbrella of the right to disassociate (14-DSC).

The general rule is that disassociation works both ways. (ie you can choose your employer and your boss can choose you, you can choose where you buy from and the shop should be able to choose who it sells to)


Government vs Private
With regard to disassociation, there are only 2 categories: 1. Government, and 2. Private (including citizens, businesses, associations).

Why allow discrimination for private entities, but not government? Well, it's really about choice. I can't really choose which government I am going to use, or which Police force I want. Thus the government and it's branches should treat us equally before the law (02-EQU).

The private sector is a different matter. Say a business snubs me because of my religion or culture, I have a chance for recourse. In return, I can take my shopping elsewhere, I can tell my friends to avoid them, I can write to newspapers and report what meanies they are. Just as they can disassociate from me, I can from them.



No comments: